Take the VHF Radio Course (SRC) online, when it suits you and where it suits you.
This is an online version of the VHF (SRC) Radio Course. To see if your device is compatible with the course see below.
A VHF radio is an essential piece of safety equipment and it is vital to understand the correct procedures. The course will teach you these procedures.
To get the VHF Radio Licence (Short Range Certificate SRC) you must
1. successfully complete this online course (or take the 1 day classroom based course) AND
2. then take a separate classroom based assessment.
If you opt for this online course you must still attend an assessment session in person. Sadly you cannot take the assessment online. You do not have to book the assessment at the same time as booking a course.
When you book the online course we will send you an ebook that will help you with the course.
The course is designed to take about 10 hours which includes some background reading from the course book.
You can install the course on your computer and once downloaded onto your computer/laptop you no longer need an internet connection.
The SRC is the qualification required by law that someone must have if there is a VHF radio on board.
To attend an assessment costs £30. There is also a £60 licence fee payable to the RYA on the day.
It can take up to 21 days to receive your VHF Radio Licence. But if you pay an additional fee the RYA will turn it around for you in 48 hours. (Very useful if you are chartering a yacht imminently!)
There is no age limit to attend a VHF Radio Course but all assessment candidates must be aged 16 or older.
If you hold the 'old' VHF licence (pre -1999) or a UK aviation radio licence you need to upgrade your qualification by doing this course and may skip the course and jump straight to the assessment.
This course has the following minimum requirements:
Internet connection (broadband or 3G). Charges may apply for 3G .
1024 x 768 screen resolution - this must be available screen space (menu bars, docks or task bars may conceal part of the course window on smaller screens).
Microphone and speakers/headphones.
Platform specific minimum requirements:
Mac Intel processor OS X 10.7 (Lion) or above.
PC Windows Vista Service Pack 2 1 GHz (x86) processor 512 MB RAM Sound card. Windows XP and earlier operating systems are not compatible with this course.
Quicktime (for viewing videos) available here.
Netbooks are not supported due to the reduced screen resolution.
iPad/iPad Mini using iOS 6 or above.
Older generation iPads may have performance issues. We strongly recommend installing the SRC Taster Course before buying the full course to check that it will work on your device.
To be awarded the†SRC, students must be able to:
A. Distress situations
1. Define a distress situation.
2. Initiate a DSC Distress Alert, with position and time input manually or automatically.
3. Send a Mayday call and message by voice.
4. Respond appropriately to a DSC Distress Alert and to a Mayday call and message,including relay of a distress message.
5. Know how to deploy an†EPIRB†and a†SART.
6. Know the procedure for†cancellation†of a distress message sent in error.
B. Urgency Situations
1. Define an urgency situation.
2. Initiate a DSC urgency alert.
3. Send an urgency message by voice.
4. Respond appropriately to an urgency message.
C. Safety Situations
1. Identify a situation in which a safety message is appropriate.
2. Input a DSC safety alert.
3. Send a safety message by voice.
4. Receive Maritime Safety Information by†NAVTEX.
D. Routine Communication
1. Initiate a routine call using DSC.
2. Establish communication and exchange messages with other stations by voice on appropriate channels.
3. Test the radiotelephone by means of an appropriate test call.
4. Enter a DSC group and Individual†MMSI.
5. Maintain an appropriate listening watch on DSC and voice channels.
6. Use the International Phonetic Alphabet.
Once booked we email you an ebook and your username and password so you can start the course straight away. Please note if you book over the weekend you will get your ebook, username and password on Monday morning.
"Excellent and I highly recommend to take any of First Class Sailing's courses"
Daniel O., Senior Manager